• September 18Forsyth Central vs. Duluth: 41-42

The 2016 Election: Your Peers’ Perspectives

Luke Lindsey, Staff Writer

Some students who have the ability to vote are refusing to do so due to the quality of this election and its candidates. This choice is common among those still relatively young and who are old enough to cast their opinion into the vast sea of votes being tallied. With Trump and his big mouth, and Hillary with her snake-like persona, the election has been said to be a “choice between the lesser of two evils” at this point in time. Even with a low quality presidential election, there are still some students who are willing to participate.

“I honestly do want to vote, only because I feel if there were a time to do so, it would be more now than ever based on the candidates. They both definitely have their negatives, but someone is going to be in office soon, and I would rather give my say on who than take a backseat.” Shauna Benning said during our interview. Like children fighting for a toy, Trump and Hillary bicker over who will own the seat in the office. Granted, every election is cutthroat to some extent, but there is a line that is crossed where the election is no longer viewed as professional by the majority of the audience and its participants.

Walking through D hall on west campus, I overheard a student say the presidential debates have been their source of comedic entertainment for the past few months, which I honestly found quite terrifying. The candidates left in the election and the media have played a major role in skewing the public’s perspective of the debates to lack the level of seriousness and urgency the election usually upholds. Even though the election is on a steady decline, there are still some who wish to voice their opinions. Those wishing not to vote must definitely still be concerned, but maybe concern is a valid enough reason to still say something in favor of your personal opinion. “Both of the candidates are both definitely bad, but I still favor more one side than the other. One is going to do less damage and I would rather vote for them than have someone worse in office.” Jerius said in our interview. Either Trump or Hillary will be in office soon, and as frightening as it may be, why not vote?