Is Water Wet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is Water Wet

Allison Oldani, Staff Writer

There is one question that prevents the good students of Forsyth Central from sleeping at night. They toss and turn, contemplating the question that has no easy answer. In most cases they think they know the answer but there is always doubt. That question isn’t what is the meaning of life? Is God real? Are we alone in the universe? Why won’t my crush text me back? What did I eat for dinner on March 6th, 2015? The question is much more difficult to answer than any of the previous examples. But don’t worry, by the end of the article you’ll be able to sleep soundly at night, because you’ll have a definitive answer to the challenging question; Is water wet?

To answer this question, we must first define what exactly is water and what exactly does it mean to be wet. Most people would agree that water is tangible, meaning you can touch it. A single H20 molecule is not water, it is a molecule of water. Once there is enough molecules for it to be seen and touched it is considered water. 

The definition of wet is much harder to define. According to Mr.McDeermond, a chemistry teacher at Forsyth Central, “Wet when used as an adjective describes something that is covered or saturated with water”. If wet is defined by being saturated by another liquid, then that implies that the wetness can be removed or dried. If an item can be wet then it must also have the ability to be dry. 

Furthermore, Mr.McDeermond also explains, “on a molecular level, since water molecules are surrounded by other water molecules, individual water molecules are wet because of the surrounding molecules, not because they themselves are wet.  In turn, water molecules can cause other molecules around them to be wet. However, if you somehow had only one water molecule in an isolated container with nothing else inside, that molecule would not be wet.” 

It seems that both people who argue that water is and isn’t wet are right in their own ways. People who argue water is wet are partially right because water molecules saturate other water molecules, therefore making them wet. But again, the water molecule itself isn’t wet and we’re going based off the definition of water on a non molecular level. 

This means if you agree with the given definitions of water and wet then the simple answer to the very complex concept reasoning is no. Water in itself is not wet. You can sleep soundly at night now that you have an answer and explanation on if water is wet.