What’s Really Going On In the Band

Jack Ramu and Laurel Daniel

After the success of their first season, Forsyth Central’s “Flash of Crimson” Marching Band is working hard to earn yet another victorious season. This years show, “The Twilight Zone,” is a tale of two young lovers trying to escape a haunted hotel. Senior drum major Sriikhar Vedurupaka told us, “I am most excited for how our show is actually going to get developed. I am looking forward to improving with the band at every practice in order to achieve our greatest potential.” With practices nearly every day, the band is working diligently to bring fresh entertainment to halftime. 

The band won three grand champion awards with their 2018 show, Cosmic Adventures. Junior saxophonist, Vitor Rodrigues, says his favorite part about last year was the large alien props. “It’s because they were a different idea,” elaborates Vitor. “You don’t see aliens like that in shows very often.”  While they may not have 18 foot tall aliens to help them out this year, the band is hoping to ride the success of 2018 to 2019. All of the members understand how much work this will take, but they are willing to put in the effort. 

Despite the popularity of last year’s show, many Flash of Crimson members don’t know much about it. In fact, many members have no experience marching at all! This might seem like it would present challenges, but freshman Sarah Jordan says, “The most surprising thing about band is how you’re actually able to remember where you are on the field while playing.” The freshmen are doing well learning to play on the move, and their effort adds to the success of the band. However, marching band isn’t entirely about playing an instrument. Much of the practice time is spent learning “body” and choreography. The colorguard is a section of the band dedicated entirely to the visual aspect. They have the responsibility of spinning and throwing flags, rifles, and sometimes light poles in addition to learning intense choreography. Their purpose is to characterize the show and add to the personality of the theme.The colorguard truly is the cherry on top of the Flash of Crimson. The band wouldn’t be the same without them

If you have ever stood in the stands during a football game, you most certainly have heard the drumline. The two groups, battery and front ensemble, consist of moving drums, like snares, and stationary drums, like concert basses. With their constant noise, the drumline is the heart of the marching band. They provide tempo, musical contrast, and enthusiasm. The drumline does the most rehearsal out of all the band to perfect these things. They have practice every day in third period, after school, and even on weekends. After the wind members have gone home, the drumline can be found on campus continuing their practice. Junior battery member Alexander Kupferman says, “The hardest part about marching is carrying the drums while focusing on every other aspect of our music, marching and technique.” Their hard work pays off on the field and in the stands when they create excitement for the audience. 

These hard working individuals have put in hours upon hours of practice for you to have entertainment during football games. 

“Where you end and where you begin is like night and day,” says band director Dan Grass. “When it all comes together, you’re like oh, that’s the picture we were meant to see.” Tom Tucker, the other band director and head of percussion, adds, “This group is doing really well at this point. We chose this show on purpose because we think the students of this year’s band are up to the challenge.” The marching band spends so much time together that they consider themselves a family, and their endless hours of practice are rewarded with long lasting friendships. You can support the Flash of Crimson by sticking around during halftime, attending their competitions, and participating in their fundraisers. Now, Flash of Crimson, you may take the field!