FCHS Fashion Trends

Back to Article
Back to Article

FCHS Fashion Trends

Heidy Lopez-Rangel and Lama Younis

At FCHS we have a diverse student body with diverse senses of style. Some students like to express themselves through their fashion choices, while others do not prioritize their looks and focus on being present at school itself. There is quite a variety of styles at school, including, but not limited to: edgy, vintage, comfy athleisure, and classic “VSCO” leggings and a t-shirt. While there is an endless list of labels, students appear to not adhere to one specifically, and change it up from time to time. Due to this, different and unique outfits are showcased everyday.  

What Are Students Really Wearing? 

Students were asked a series of questions based on their outfit and fashion sense. These questions consisted mainly of, “Do you care about what you wear to school?” and “What would you define your style as?”

Juan Mendez Lopez

Do you care about what you wear to school? Do you plan your outfits?

Yeah. I usually pick them out the night before, but when I’m too sleepy I completely skip that and go to sleep. In the morning I just put on whatever is near, and those are the days that I feel the worst. 

Do you care about what others think of your outfits? 

Sometimes, yeah. I mean, I like compliments, who doesn’t? But if they don’t like it I really couldn’t care. 

What would you define your style as?

I couldn’t answer that – I don’t really know. 

Jamie Krauth  

Do you care about what you wear to school?

Yes, every single night, I plan what I’m going to wear the next day.

No, not really.

What would you define your style as?

I would describe it as trendy.

Iliana Martin    

Yes, but I kind of just go with the flow.  I don’t plan my outfits.

Yeah. 

What would you define your style as?

Casual Chic.

Jaxson Trammell, Sam Cooke, and Ian Binion

JT: Yes, I plan my outfit every single day, unless I forget, which is probably like once a week.

SC: See these nails? I put in so much effort. Everyday. 

IB: Yes.

JT: Very little, if at all. 

SC: Yes, and no.  

IB: No.

What would you define your style as?

IB: E-boy. 

SC: Whack. 

JT: Whatever I feel like. 

Laila Villeda 

I plan them like a day before, because I think I look good every single day, that grind don’t stop. 

Honestly, yeah. I shouldn’t, but I do. I choose my outfits based on other people’s thoughts and trends – Instagram baddie, you know? 

What Instagram trends do you follow? 

Skinny jeans, those are popular. The barrettes, I wear those – those belts, the long belts. What else do I follow? Oh! Filas! I’m following all these trends today! Crop tops, biker shorts – I wore that one time. Bucket hats. 

Jia Shah                       

It really depends on the day. Sometimes I like to dress up more nice, but many days I wear what’s comfortable.

Maybe a little, but I generally tend to wear what makes me happy, not other people. 

What would you define your style as?

Casual comfortable.

Laith Younis

No, I don’t plan my outfits or anything. I just wear what I feel like wearing that day.

No, not really. If it satisfies me, that’s all that matters.

What would you define your style as?

Casual  Comfy.

Honorable Mentions

Although a various selection of outfits are showcased, others who were interviewed aren’t pictured, but their opinions were still voiced. Here are just a few of the many great answers received in the process. 

• “I usually just wear hand-me-downs from my sister.”

-Sydney Vallier

• “I give myself one day a week to wear running shorts and a t-shirt.”

-Emma Humphries

• “If I like it, that’s all that matters.”

-Emma Stevenson    

• “As long as I’m wearing clothes.”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    -Megan Owenby
  • “I guess I just want to be comfortable, and feel like myself.                                                                                                                                                                      Noelle Barnette

At the End of the Day

After surveying a variety of the student body at FCHS, a couple claims can be made about teenage fashion. First, many students value comfort just as much, or maybe even more, than appearances. The vast majority of students interviewed mentioned being comfortable as a significant factor while choosing their outfit for the day. On the other end of the spectrum, students stated that they care enough to put thought into their outfit everyday, but that approval from others is not quite as important. Either way, fashion and clothes, for many, is a way for people to express their personalities in a physical way. As for a specific style, many said either comfortable or casual. Others used a variety of descriptions to explain their overall clothing picks such as trendy, instagram-esque, chic, and more. At the end of the day, what matters is that the outfit a person picks to wear makes them feel good. After all, they do say that the most beautiful people are the ones who radiate confidence and self love.