Balancing School Year Breaks and Summer Break

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jaeden Amiri Owens and Pierce Garramone

Even after only a few mere weeks of school have passed, many of us will admit that we could already use another break. Summer break stretches on for usually about 7 to 8 weeks, and it’s the longest break available to us all year. However, the length of our summer is relatively short compared to the summer that our parents enjoyed; in the past, summer break was usually around three months. As a tradeoff for reduced summer, we have more frequent and longer breaks throughout the year. But some students would prefer that to change.

“I enjoy my summer,” says Jaxson Trammel, a junior at FCHS. Jaxson supports a longer summer break, stating that he loves to travel. Jaxson also brings up an important point: long breaks throughout the year disrupt the school routine, particularly sleep schedules. When an average high school student transitions between a week of sleeping in to scrambling out of bed at 6 AM, it can have a huge effect on both their attitude and, in the worst case, their grades. 

A different anonymous student expressed a similar sentiment as Jaxson. The summer time is when most Americans go on longer and more expensive vacations and retreats, and sometimes families don’t have enough time to do everything they want. 

However, many students are not so keen about extending the summer break at the cost of others. “Oh my gosh, I would die,” says Lauren Hatfield, another junior who is not so fond of a longer summer. Lauren claims that the school year “gets tiring,” and that a summer which is too long would become boring. 

One anonymous senior claims that, “… it wouldn’t feel like such a difference if we took a few weeks off of summer as long as we got more breaks during the year.” This student holds a strong belief in having a shorter summer– he also argued that it would be relieving for students to receive more time off in the midst of test taking, studying, and piles of classwork, and that students would have something positive to look forward to throughout the year. 

There are also a few students who do not want to change the length of the breaks but simply want to rearrange them. For example, one anonymous senior stated he would rather have fall break placed later in the year. 

Ultimately, the decision is up to the Board of Education. The BOE has already decided the schedule for the 2020-2021 school year, and they have not significantly modified the length of any breaks. However, it is still possible that this schedule can change, and future schedules are still undecided. In the past, students have been able to influence the decisions of the board. But given how divided student opinion is, it seems unlikely that any major changes will be made.