Are High School Students Ready For College

Back to Article
Back to Article

Christina Cannady, Staff Writer

High school seniors are not prepared to go off to college. “Nearly half of college students graduate high school without having ever taken any sort of college readiness course of study,” Amna Ijaz and Collin College write in an article on Study Breaks. High school students are not properly prepared for the difficulty of college. College requires an extreme amount of authority that many students fresh out of high school do not have.

College is different than most of the education high school students are used to. Most students move away from their homes to live on or near their college campus. They have to provide for themselves, and also be responsible enough to keep up with their school work. This is very different to students who are used to having all their friends and family around.

Some students are not even sure if college is for them. Students are pressured to go straight to college after high school, but some students are just not ready for college. The information that students send to colleges says a lot about themselves academically while still living at home, but it does not reveal much more about students responsibility outside of class. Some high school student just are not ready to live on their own and be responsible for themselves.

Some high school students are ready for college. Some students have college experience and know how to live by themselves but, “Even those students who have done everything they were told to do to prepare for college find, often after they arrive, that their new institution has deemed them unprepared.” an article on Higher Education says. College is an unknown place to most high school students. When high school students go off to college they are put into a brand new world. It can be hard to keep up with all the stress from college.

Most high school students are not prepared enough for the reality of college. College is a lot of hard work and can be very different than high school. Most high school students are not ready to go straight into college.