Student Spotlight: Robby Campfield

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Spotlight: Robby Campfield

Let me ask you a question. How often do you come across a kid gymnast who has already reached the highest recognition for their age? Many would answer saying they haven’t. Now I don’t want you to start picturing the next Simone Biles or Gabby Douglas; we aren’t quite at the Olympic level quite yet. Instead, I would like to introduce you Robert Campfield.

Robby is a young, talented, and driven 17 year boy who has already accomplished so much. This young man has spent his entire life in the gym and began gymnastic competitions 10 years ago at the age of seven. His love for gymnastics is not surprising when you take into account that he comes from a family of gymnasts. Campfield’s mother, Cathy, was once a collegiate gymnast but now coaches gymnastics, judges competitions, and raises three gymnasts of her own. 

Robby’s brother, Peter, and sister, Elena, both followed in their mother’s footsteps by doing gymnastics, coaching gymnastics, and judging gymnastics and Campfield is right behind them. He says he looks up to and is greatly influenced by his older brother, Peter, who he says “Definitely showed me how to be a hard worker, a good teammate, and respectful coach.”

It has taken 9 years to reach the Level 10 gymnast recognition that Robby receives now. For those of you wondering what being a Level 10 gymnast signifies, it means that you have reached the highest level in gymnastics you can until you continue on into college. The constant practicing and late nights, as well as blood, sweat, and tears that he has put into achieving this recognition is unimaginable. It’s crazy to even think about the fact that he was awarding this recognition just as a sophomore in high school. “It takes a lot of hard work and time but you also get a lot out of it,” Robby stated when asked about his journey to recognition.

Though Robby has a great passion for gymnastics, he has to be cautious about how much of his attention it gets. Robby is a 3-year STEM student at Forsyth Central High School, that means he has a lot of school work on his plate. “Balancing the workload from school and all the time I have to put in at the gym is definitely a challenge.” With 5 AP’s in his current school schedule, practicing 4 nights a week, plus coaching 2 additional nights a week, one can . During freshman year, Campfield actually had to take a break from gymnastics in order to make up for his grades that were starting to slip. Once they were taken care of, he jumped right back into practicing and coaching gymnastics.

Gymnastics is not only about achieving the highest level one can but its about character development too. Robby mentioned that his time in gymnastics has allowed him to become a more social and friendly person. It has permitted him to meet new friends and learn how to deal with children, something he felt was important to note.

During our discussion, I asked Campfield what the best part about gymnastics was to him and he said, “The best part about gymnastics is the life lessons it has taught me,” and even shared that the word that comes to mind when describing gymnastics is REWARDING. People have their fair share of ups and downs throughout their life. Some may fall and let their troubles get the best of them while others trudge through the tough times. In the end, the reward one receives when seeing what he has accomplished is greater than everything that came before. And though Robby Campfield is only 17, he’s still working for his greatest reward.