Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum

Logan Wallace, Staff Writer

Charlie Baum, 17 year old senior, defies gender roles and restrictions. Charlie is recognized at Forsyth Central by his detailed makeup looks. Charlie is a sight to behold and an inspiration to fellow students who struggle with expressing themselves.

How do you identify?

“I identify as Charlie Baum. Gender has always been used to control people and to make them fit a mold. From a young age I’ve felt like there wasn’t something normal about me, I wasn’t the social norm, I felt like something’s been off. I’ve been told no to being feminine because I was born a boy. At the end of the day I don’t feel like a boy or girl- I feel like me.”

What does drag mean to you?

“To me drag is about expressing yourself and telling a story through a look/face and becoming someone else while remaining authentically yourself. It’s expressing beauty, gore and everything in between. I like to say that I can transform into whatever I want, whether it’s a high fashion clown, zombie, or a femme fatale straight out of a comic book. It’s an expression of my queerness and it brings out a side of me that can’t be expressed in day to day life.”

Have you ever been bullied at FCHS?

“Being openly gay is typically an invitation for boatloads of hate, but being openly and proudly femme has definitely brought on more than I had experienced in the past. This year in particular, I began practicing my art daily and going to school with a “full mug,” and plenty of people have had things that they feel the need to say about me or to me, but it doesn’t bother me. I think that the best thing that you can do about this is educate people- both on what is right and wrong to say and the queer community. Queer culture is everywhere, but no one seems to recognize this. So being a strong figure in the community at Central is a way that I feel that I can combat this.”

Graduating Early

“I’m graduating this year as opposed to next year so that I can pursue my goals of being a professional drag artist and makeup artist. I’ll be working my butt off to make coin, then attending cosmetology school. I figured this was the best decision for me because I’m not college bound and when I’m lip syncing in a stacked wig and beautiful ensemble, I won’t need to know how to do quadratics, so it’s best to just get it over with.”

Charlie is bringing a long awaited change to the hallways of Central. His legacy will remain and be remembered as an awakening of acceptance. Thank you Charlie for your contribution to this school and being true to yourself. Such courage has opened the doors for many who strive to find comfort with their personal identities.