Central Scene

• December 12Early Release next Tues., Wed., Thurs. @ 12:55

• December 12Region 5 Wrestling Duals, 1/12 at 10 am in the Dome Gym

• December 12Choral Winter Concert 12/13 , 7pm in the PAC

Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum

Logan Wallace, Staff Writer

Charlie Baum, 17 year old senior, defies gender roles and restrictions. Charlie is recognized at Forsyth Central by his detailed makeup looks. Charlie is a sight to behold and an inspiration to fellow students who struggle with expressing themselves.

How do you identify?

“I identify as Charlie Baum. Gender has always been used to control people and to make them fit a mold. From a young age I’ve felt like there wasn’t something normal about me, I wasn’t the social norm, I felt like something’s been off. I’ve been told no to being feminine because I was born a boy. At the end of the day I don’t feel like a boy or girl- I feel like me.”

What does drag mean to you?

“To me drag is about expressing yourself and telling a story through a look/face and becoming someone else while remaining authentically yourself. It’s expressing beauty, gore and everything in between. I like to say that I can transform into whatever I want, whether it’s a high fashion clown, zombie, or a femme fatale straight out of a comic book. It’s an expression of my queerness and it brings out a side of me that can’t be expressed in day to day life.”

Have you ever been bullied at FCHS?

“Being openly gay is typically an invitation for boatloads of hate, but being openly and proudly femme has definitely brought on more than I had experienced in the past. This year in particular, I began practicing my art daily and going to school with a “full mug,” and plenty of people have had things that they feel the need to say about me or to me, but it doesn’t bother me. I think that the best thing that you can do about this is educate people- both on what is right and wrong to say and the queer community. Queer culture is everywhere, but no one seems to recognize this. So being a strong figure in the community at Central is a way that I feel that I can combat this.”

Graduating Early

“I’m graduating this year as opposed to next year so that I can pursue my goals of being a professional drag artist and makeup artist. I’ll be working my butt off to make coin, then attending cosmetology school. I figured this was the best decision for me because I’m not college bound and when I’m lip syncing in a stacked wig and beautiful ensemble, I won’t need to know how to do quadratics, so it’s best to just get it over with.”

Charlie is bringing a long awaited change to the hallways of Central. His legacy will remain and be remembered as an awakening of acceptance. Thank you Charlie for your contribution to this school and being true to yourself. Such courage has opened the doors for many who strive to find comfort with their personal identities. 

About the Writer
Logan Wallace, Staff Writer

Hewwo. OWO. RAWR XD.

My favorite song is Snake Farm. My favorite emoji is the cowboy emoji. I like memes. I radiate BDE. Water is my favorite drink....

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum”

1. Charlie on November 13th, 2018 9:08 pm

I told y’all I’d be famous. MWAH!

2. Jaxson on November 13th, 2018 9:38 pm

We stan.

3. Haley Johnson on November 13th, 2018 9:38 pm

I love Charlie so much, ever since I met him his freshman year I have seen him grow so much. Seeing him come into his identity this past year has been a special thing to watch and I think he deserves way more credit than he gets. The fact that he is ridiculed for doing things he loves and things that are part of his identity. He uses his passion to fuel him forward and it truly shows how strong he is.

4. Caty Edgmon on November 13th, 2018 9:42 pm

Moving from a place where queerness as well as general self expression is largely welcomed and accepted, it has been truly horrifying to hear some of the nasty and ignorant things people say here at Central. I love Charlie with all my heart, and even though I’ve only known him for a short time, it warms my heart to see how strong and passionate this QUEEN is for what she loves. I know I would not have the confidence or power within myself to deal with the level of hatred that is thrown around, and I know for a fact that the majority of the people who say things about Charlie would not be able to handle it either. So cheers to Charlie for being one of the strongest human beings I know.

5. Ash on November 13th, 2018 9:53 pm

I C O N I C

• Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum

Student Life

Midterm Schedule/ EOC Schedule

• Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum

Student Life

An Inside Look at Applying to College

• Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum

Uncategorized

The Elm takes Root

• Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum

Sports

Central’s Takedown of North Forsyth

• Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum

Student Life

Homecoming: What to Expect

• Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum

Student Life

Halloween Costume Contest

• Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum

Sports

A Look into FCHS’s Fall Sports

• Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum

Student Life

The Foxhole: A History

• Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum

Why Is Funding For The Arts Important

• Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum

Opinion

FCHS Chorus Department, A Family of Singers: Who We Are Behind The Performances

The Student News Site of Forsyth Central High School
Student Spotlight: Charlie Baum