• November 12Congratulations to Comp Cheer on placing 6th at State!

• November 12Band Concert November 13th @ 6:30

• October 29Coffeehouse is on November 15 @ 7PM in the PAC

Is Martin Luther King Jr.’s Dream Dead?

Jake Gant, Staff Writer

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God’s children, black men and white men, Jews and gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, ‘Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!'”

In August of 1963, Martin Luther King Jr. made his “I Have a Dream” speech in front of the Lincoln Memorial. The Civil Rights Movement rapidly growing stronger, with the support of President John F. Kennedy and Americans nationwide. He envisioned an America where people were judged by their character, and not for their skin. An America where we could all sit at “the table of brotherhood” together, despite our differences. An America where we could come together and embrace each other.

What happened? Here we are 55 years later, and his progress is fading away. It’s not our President halting change, it’s not our government. It’s us; we are letting the simplest of issues and differences change how we view each other. Conservative or liberal, white or black, rich or poor. We demonize each other all the time. Conservatives calling liberals libtards, and liberals calling conservatives fascists or nuts. Not only that, but we are re-energizing racial divides, on top of sexuality, gender, and religion.

According to Gallup Polls, racial tension had a dramatic increase from 2014 to 2015. As of 2018 it has begun declining, but what causes this tension and what can we do to prevent it? Do not discriminate against another person for their race, gender, sexuality, religion, eye color, hair color, fingernail length, shoe size, or any other personal thing or difference. We are all different in so many ways (which is beautiful), but if we as a people were more focused on finding our similarities as we are our differences, we would transform each other.

Martin Luther King Jr.’s revolution was not one of hate; it was one that promoted everyone to treat each other with respect, and for us to judge based on character, not by physical traits. Unfortunately racism hasn’t gone away, and it likely won’t if we continue to handle relations like we do in modern America. Martin Luther sought peaceful means to get his point across, not violent protests like we see today.

We as Americans need to get off of each other’s throats and we need to love each other. We all have struggles, we all have flaws, but we are all human, and we all feel. Let’s treat each other accordingly. Let’s do it every day when we go to school, or go to work. Let’s smile at each other in the hallways, because a smile never hurts. Let’s find our common ground, and sooner or later, we’ll realize we are all on the same side. That’s what Martin Luther King Jr. stood for, and that’s what I stand for.

About the Writer
Jake Gant, Staff Writer

Note: This article contains no bias towards any candidate. In this article we will look at their stances on some key Georgia issues, and their pros and cons in a nonpartisan, educational manner. The candidates will be in alphabetical order by first name.

Brian Kemp:

Brian Kemp is a Georgia native, small business owner, Secretary of State, and member of the Republican Party. He was nominated in July for Governor by Republicans.

Education:

Brian Kemp studied at the University of Georgia, and graduated with a degree in Agriculture.

Career:

Before entering politics, Brian Kemp was a home builder and developer.

Brian Kemp became a Georgia State Senator in 2003, and held that position until 2007. Three years later he was appointed to the position of Secretary of State by Governor Sonny Perdue. He then ran for re-election against Democrat Georganna Sinkfield, and defeated her by 17%. In 2014 he was re-elected a second time.

Georgia is one of 17 other states that use electronic voting machines, which have been said to be vulnerable to outside hacking. Kemp has consistently denied that Russian collusion impacted the 2016 election in Georgia, and has said all voting in the State of Georgia is secure.

Kemp has been accused of voter suppression by many groups in the State of Georgia, and has been criticized for this due to the fact he is running for Governor of Georgia.

On The Issues:

Jobs: Brian Kemp has sworn to cut “useless and inefficient” government regulations on small businesses and has vowed to cut taxes on all citizens of Georgia to expand economic opportunity to rural Georgia.

Public Safety: Brian Kemp promises to stand with state prosecutors and law enforcement to ensure gangs and cartels are shut down. He takes a firm stance on ending sex trafficking in Georgia, and punishing sexual predators.

Taxes: As Governor Brian has promised to lower taxes for Georgia families and cap government spending in Georgia. He will stand against inefficient, costly government programs that do not help the people of Georgia.

Education: Brian Kemp supports early childhood education, pay raises for Georgia teachers, local control over schools, school choice, and more funding for the Georgia HOPE scholarship to make sure it is available to all Georgians. Kemp wants to reduce mandates and paperwork on educators and put students “ahead of the status quo.”

Healthcare: Kemp has sworn to craft a “Georgia-focused” healthcare plan that will lower costs of premiums and prescription drugs while increasing access for Georgia families. He will fund mental health services, protect rural hospitals, and “tackle” the doctor shortage with more residency slots and better incentivize for rural physicians.

Endorsements:

• President Donald Trump
  • Former House Speaker and Presidential Candidate Newt Gingrich
  • Former Football Player Herschel Walker
  • GeorgiaCarry.org
  • Family Research Council
  • National Rifle Association
  • And 290+ More Found

Stacey Abrams:

Stacey Abrams is the current House Minority Leader in the Georgia State House of Representatives. Stacey is a member of the Democrat Party and candidate for Governor.

Education:

Abrams attended Spelman College where she got her Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies

Career:

Before Abrams attended college she was a political speechwriter for many politicians, and got very involved in the political world. In 2002 she was appointed a Deputy City Attorney for the City of Atlanta. After this she worked her way into the Georgia House of Representatives where she fought for more HOPE Scholarship funding and did notable work easily with other Republicans in the State of Georgia.

On The Issues:

Jobs: Abrams wants to promote Georgia as a more open and inclusive state when it comes to jobs. She has vowed to expand medicaid and open more government programs to create more jobs, grow the Georgia workforce, and keep Georgia the #1 place to do business.

Public Safety: Abrams has been a major advocate of “common sense gun reform”, she supports universal background checks, the repeal of campus carry rights, and extreme risk prevention orders. She also supports community and hospital gun programs that help end gun violence, along with more research funding for mental health.

Taxes: Stacey Abrams has not provided an official stance on taxes.

Education: Stacey wants to provide free, high quality child care to the people of Georgia.

Stacey is also against the privatization of public schools, and has promised to never allow the privatization of public schools. She is also a proponent of bringing child mental health services to every child in Georgia. She has promised to provide more government programs to help pay for student tuition for college in Georgia.

Healthcare: Stacey has been a proponent of healthcare for all, and wants to expand Medicaid in the State of Georgia. She is pro-choice, and more funding for mental health research in Georgia.

Endorsements:

• Former President Jimmy Carter
  • Former President Barack Obama
  • American Federation of Government Employees
  • Black Economic Alliance
  • Feminist Majority Political Action Committee
  • #VOTEPROCHOICE
  • And 50+ More Found