Central Scene

• December 12Early Release next Tues., Wed., Thurs. @ 12:55

• December 12Region 5 Wrestling Duals, 1/12 at 10 am in the Dome Gym

• December 12Choral Winter Concert 12/13 , 7pm in the PAC

The Cumming Fair – What’s New For 2018?

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Cumming Fair – What’s New For 2018?

Pierce Garramone, Staff Writer

The Cumming Fair, one of our city’s biggest and most celebrated events, is back in town for the year of 2018. 

The fair is praised by people of all ages. Children have the opportunity to eat junk food like funnel cakes and soft serve ice cream, get their faces painted or drawn as a caricatures, and ride on fast-paced, fun rides. And conveniently, it is walking distance from our school. During this time of year it is a hotspot for students that takes up entire weekends. It is only here for ten days, starting on the 4th and ending on the 14th of October. So before you spend your weekends roaming the fairgrounds looking for things to spend your time on, here’s a few things that have been newly introduced to the fair.

The Return Of The Cyclops

The Cyclops, one of, if not, the most popular ride in the fairgrounds, has made its return after being absent last year. The Cyclops is built to swing its passengers in a pendulum motion, while simultaneously spinning them in circles. 

Barrett Clark, a senior at FCHS, claims the ride was removed from the fairgrounds in the year of 2017 due to an accident. The accident, however, did not take place in the Cumming Fair. It occured at the Ohio State Fair back in July 2017, where a model of the Cyclops malfunctioned. As a result of this, there was a factory recall and the Cyclops was completely analyzed for any potential malfunctioning issues. Never fear, though. The Cyclops has made its return, safer than ever, and is ready to create memories.

California Surf

The California Surf is a new ride that made its debut in the fairgrounds this year. Similar to the X-Factor, it holds a couple dozen people in two rows and brings you up and down in a clockwise motion at a quick speed. What sets it apart from the other attractions is it’s straight-forward delivery of the “heeby jeebies” the feeling of lightness as your body moves up and down in the air too fast. However, in contrast to the X-Factor, water is completely absent from the ride, making it a good alternat ive for anyone who is looking for the thrill without getting soaking wet.

New Ferris Wheel 

Every fair, therme park, and carnival needs a ferris wheel. One of the few relaxing rides they have to offer, is a hot spot for couples, photographers, and people that need a break from fast-paced rocking and spinning. For years the Cumming Fair housed an average sized, colorful ferris wheel everyone knew about. However, the fair has put it aside and introduced the new double ferris wheel. It is exactly how it sounds — two conjoining ferris wheels. It holds twice as many people, makes twice as many memories, and is twice as soothing. 

The fair is only here for ten days, so when you go back out to enjoy the rides, scenery, entertainment, and food, remember to take the time to check out these new additions.