• October 12October 27th Is The Homecoming Dance Come Out and Have A Great Time

• October 12Come Support Central At Our Pink Out Homecoming Game October 12th!

Are Forsyth Frogs in Danger?

Jennifer Ruiz, Staff Writer

“It’s not slime. It’s MUCUS!” If any of you have ever seen The Princess and the Frog and loved seeing the frogs sing and live happily ever after, we should probably help our real frogs live happily ever after as well. The amphibians of  Lake Lanier are at risk and it’s because of us. As some might not know frogs breathe and absorb everything through their skin, and to keep their skin safe they must have moisture which is why if anyone has ever touched a frog and asked why they are so slippery, it is because of their mucus coating.

According to the website of The Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Georgia’s frogs are easily drawn to us because of our climate throughout all seasons. Frogs only come out at night and sleep during the day, because during the day they get dehydrated and they need moisture to live.

Lake Lanier is a grand habitat for the frogs, although there are vehicles that pass by all of the time which negatively affect our pollution and environment. Forsyth County’s pollution is a bit noticeable, but not where people should be scared nonetheless people still should be cautious. If we don’t do something about this situation, we may arrive at a point where we in fact do have to be nervous.

If people have ever heard of the “ canary in the coal mine,” they might understand that the state of frogs is similar to that of the fragile bird.  The American toad, Fowler’s toad, green tree frog, bullfrog, northern cricket frog, and so many more are located in Forsyth County. These creatures must be protected or they will be susceptible to the the environmental changes happening around them.

The frogs’ mucus in Forsyth County and Lake Lanier’s contains antibacterial or antifungals, preventing them from getting harmed, but if the percentage of pollution rises there will be harm towards the frogs and later this will affect the rest of our creatures. 

The U.S. Geological Survey is a scientific agency of the United States government who has been watching over the movements of amphibians either going extinct or in danger. Their website gives out so many views to the situation like the fact that 3.9 percent per year of the amphibian population is decreasing. The more the decreasing of amphibians continues, the more it will later on start affecting other organisms.  Tadpoles will no longer be able to keep the water clean, and there will be more insects. Many researchers are concerned at this point because the decreasing isn’t stopping even though the solutions are so simple. If more try their best to help the environment not only are they going to help a percentage of amphibians live, but they will also be helping us and so many more organisms out there suffering as well.

Many of you can easily contribute to helping the frogs by not using gas-powered lawn mowers, reducing the amount of gas from your vehicles, considering carpooling, recycling all you can, and picking up after your pets. All of these ideas are from Whit Gibbons who is a well-known professor at the University of Georgia and works constantly on research-laboratory experiments, and has not only written and edited books but he has publicly spoken about tons of environmental subjects in Georgia.

Although numerous people have been trying to lend a hand, there is still a noticeable percentage of the rest of the population of Forsyth County that doesn’t either realize what they’re doing, or don’t quite care for their environment. I mean we all want the amphibians and creatures dear to us to “live happily ever after” right?