• November 12Congratulations to Comp Cheer on placing 6th at State!

• November 12Band Concert November 13th @ 6:30

• October 29Coffeehouse is on November 15 @ 7PM in the PAC

Georgia’s Growing Film Industry

Christina Cannady, Staff Writer

Did you know that the Peach State was ranked the number one filming location in the world for its number of worldwide film productions? Georgia has surpassed California and Canada as the top location for production of feature films.

An astonishing 320 films and TV series were filmed here in 2017 alone. Many well known movies were filmed in Georgia including The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013), Need For speed (2014), A Wrinkle In Time (2016), Avengers: Infinity War (2017), Incredibles 2 (2018), and many others, as well as numerous others to that are underway.

The number of film production companies operating in Georgia has been growing rapidly. Just in the last five years, 16 film and television companies have expanded or relocated to Georgia because of tax incentives established through the Entertainment Industry Investment Act, signed by Governor Sonny Perdue in 2005, which was later updated in 2008. There are 20 major studio complexes and more than 800 production companies operating in Georgia that offer the necessary equipment, trained personnel, and support services to keep Georgia a camera ready state.

According to the Major Motion Picture Association of America’s website, the film and television industry is responsible for more than 92,000 jobs in Georgia. That number is expected to grow by 3,000-5,000 new jobs over the next three to five years. Georgia Film Academy Executive Director Jeffrey Stepakoff was quoted in Know Atlanta Magazine as saying, “We have more than 100,000 people working in Georgia in film and television production and Hollywood loves to come here.”

Georgia hosted more feature film productions in 2016 than any other market, including the United Kingdom, Canada, California, Louisiana and New York, according to FilmL.A. (a not-for-profit film organization serving Greater L.A.). It’s no surprise really with all that Georgia has to offer. Governor Nathan Deal announced that in the 2016 fiscal year Georgia’s film industry accumulated more than $7 billion. 245 feature films and productions were shot and produced in 2016.

David Goldman
Photo/David Goldman)

Because Georgia has such diverse landscape (from big city to small town, as well as mountains, lakes and coastal areas), the film industry has embraced Georgia as the perfect choice for making blockbuster movies, television shows, and even music videos. With all of the businesses that have moved here, along with all the money they are bringing in, there is no doubt that Georgia’s film industry will continue to grow and produce many more movies and television shows in the years to come.

If you are interested in being an extra in any film productions in Georgia, you can visit this website for more information: https://atlantaplanit.wabe.org/2017/03/28/want-to-be-a-film-extra-in-atlanta-here-are-some-tips/

About the Writer
Christina Cannady, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Christina Cannady. I am born and raised in Cumming, Georgia. I’m 14 years old and i just started high school at Forsyth Central. I’m excited for the new year and all of the new things I will learn this year. I’m especially excited to be in journalism everyday, and writing about what I love. I’ve always loved to write since I was little, and can’t wait to do it everyday.