• November 12Congratulations to Comp Cheer on placing 6th at State!

• November 12Band Concert November 13th @ 6:30

• October 29Coffeehouse is on November 15 @ 7PM in the PAC

Is Central’s Band Underrated?

Jake Gant, Staff Writer

Being in high school, we see a lot of hype for our sports teams. They are viewed as very competitive and something we should be proud of, which we should be. We constantly hear the Principal mentioning our football team over the intercom on fridays, wishing them the best of luck in their endeavors. Occasionally we hear about our softball team, baseball team, soccer team, and other competitive sports teams.

However, there is one program that rarely sees the limelight on campus, and it’s our band program. Yes, we proudly support our other sports teams, and we take the field for halftime shows for every football game. We are proud to show our talents to our school administration, teachers, and fellow students. Sadly though, a lot of students do not see the Flash of Crimson as the highly successful and efficient program that it is.

One of the big reasons nobody really knows about the band is because a lot of people don’t know that much about the band and how it functions. Let’s dive into how it starts every year. On July 16th, 2018 official band camp began. Every day of band camp (starting off) is nine hours of practicing the fundamentals of music and getting back into the groove of things. The band typically will not practice together for the first few days or the first week because each section has individual needs and needs to figure things out for themselves before the whole group can be together.

By the second week all sections should have a basic idea of how they will function and also know some of our show. The beginning of the show is called the “opener”. Most of summer band camp is focused on figuring that out as a group so that when football season rolls around we are able to play that somewhat well. Once the opener is figured out and memorized, we move on to the “ballad.” Once we start learning and performing the ballad, the entire band moves faster, learns faster, and prepares to compete harder. By the time we are finished with learning our show we typically have around five different movements (sections of the show) that we play.

What a lot of people don’t know is that our band goes to competitions in the fall until around November. That’s right, we compete too! The Flash of Crimson Marching Band was, and still arguably is, one of the most respected high school marching bands in the south. Known for excellence, we have won countless Grand Championships, even at the State level, and our indoor group has even received second place at World Championships.

According to a band student, who wishes to remain anonymous, the band is very underrated. “We are underrated, not really because [other students] don’t know what we do, a lot of the students and teachers don’t respect what we do. I feel like a lot of the time we are put down because others feel we don’t work as hard as football players or soccer players, but in reality we are extremely hard workers.”

It has also been mentioned many times in band and outside of school that the band is called terms that could be considered offensive by not only band students, but other students on campus. “I’ve heard it from football players, cheerleaders, etc. Of course not everyone says this, but a lot of the time people use slang words to talk about us like ‘Oh that’s so gay’.”

Band students are commonly looked down upon by other students, and many band kids agree that it’s because what the school sees is very different than what we see as band students. Many students are unaware that learning an entire nine-minute show can take up to four or five months of extremely hard work and lots of dedication.. There is a lot of processing and changes that need to go on before a show evolves into a true work of art.

We are known for practicing when the sun rises until after the sun sets. We will have long Saturdays away from our families, three to four days of staying after school until 7 just learning music. We are a passionate group, and more importantly we are a team just like any other here at Central. We support our peers, our teachers, our other sports teams, our administrators, and Forsyth Central High School as a whole. Let’s all be bulldogs, let’s all support each other, let’s all show the world what it means to be from Central.

About the Writer
Jake Gant, Staff Writer

Note: This article contains no bias towards any candidate. In this article we will look at their stances on some key Georgia issues, and their pros and cons in a nonpartisan, educational manner. The candidates will be in alphabetical order by first name.

Brian Kemp:

Brian Kemp is a Georgia native, small business owner, Secretary of State, and member of the Republican Party. He was nominated in July for Governor by Republicans.

Education:

Brian Kemp studied at the University of Georgia, and graduated with a degree in Agriculture.

Career:

Before entering politics, Brian Kemp was a home builder and developer.

Brian Kemp became a Georgia State Senator in 2003, and held that position until 2007. Three years later he was appointed to the position of Secretary of State by Governor Sonny Perdue. He then ran for re-election against Democrat Georganna Sinkfield, and defeated her by 17%. In 2014 he was re-elected a second time.

Georgia is one of 17 other states that use electronic voting machines, which have been said to be vulnerable to outside hacking. Kemp has consistently denied that Russian collusion impacted the 2016 election in Georgia, and has said all voting in the State of Georgia is secure.

Kemp has been accused of voter suppression by many groups in the State of Georgia, and has been criticized for this due to the fact he is running for Governor of Georgia.

On The Issues:

Jobs: Brian Kemp has sworn to cut “useless and inefficient” government regulations on small businesses and has vowed to cut taxes on all citizens of Georgia to expand economic opportunity to rural Georgia.

Public Safety: Brian Kemp promises to stand with state prosecutors and law enforcement to ensure gangs and cartels are shut down. He takes a firm stance on ending sex trafficking in Georgia, and punishing sexual predators.

Taxes: As Governor Brian has promised to lower taxes for Georgia families and cap government spending in Georgia. He will stand against inefficient, costly government programs that do not help the people of Georgia.

Education: Brian Kemp supports early childhood education, pay raises for Georgia teachers, local control over schools, school choice, and more funding for the Georgia HOPE scholarship to make sure it is available to all Georgians. Kemp wants to reduce mandates and paperwork on educators and put students “ahead of the status quo.”

Healthcare: Kemp has sworn to craft a “Georgia-focused” healthcare plan that will lower costs of premiums and prescription drugs while increasing access for Georgia families. He will fund mental health services, protect rural hospitals, and “tackle” the doctor shortage with more residency slots and better incentivize for rural physicians.

Endorsements:

• President Donald Trump
  • Former House Speaker and Presidential Candidate Newt Gingrich
  • Former Football Player Herschel Walker
  • GeorgiaCarry.org
  • Family Research Council
  • National Rifle Association
  • And 290+ More Found

Stacey Abrams:

Stacey Abrams is the current House Minority Leader in the Georgia State House of Representatives. Stacey is a member of the Democrat Party and candidate for Governor.

Education:

Abrams attended Spelman College where she got her Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies

Career:

Before Abrams attended college she was a political speechwriter for many politicians, and got very involved in the political world. In 2002 she was appointed a Deputy City Attorney for the City of Atlanta. After this she worked her way into the Georgia House of Representatives where she fought for more HOPE Scholarship funding and did notable work easily with other Republicans in the State of Georgia.

On The Issues:

Jobs: Abrams wants to promote Georgia as a more open and inclusive state when it comes to jobs. She has vowed to expand medicaid and open more government programs to create more jobs, grow the Georgia workforce, and keep Georgia the #1 place to do business.

Public Safety: Abrams has been a major advocate of “common sense gun reform”, she supports universal background checks, the repeal of campus carry rights, and extreme risk prevention orders. She also supports community and hospital gun programs that help end gun violence, along with more research funding for mental health.

Taxes: Stacey Abrams has not provided an official stance on taxes.

Education: Stacey wants to provide free, high quality child care to the people of Georgia.

Stacey is also against the privatization of public schools, and has promised to never allow the privatization of public schools. She is also a proponent of bringing child mental health services to every child in Georgia. She has promised to provide more government programs to help pay for student tuition for college in Georgia.

Healthcare: Stacey has been a proponent of healthcare for all, and wants to expand Medicaid in the State of Georgia. She is pro-choice, and more funding for mental health research in Georgia.

Endorsements:

• Former President Jimmy Carter
  • Former President Barack Obama
  • American Federation of Government Employees
  • Black Economic Alliance
  • Feminist Majority Political Action Committee
  • #VOTEPROCHOICE
  • And 50+ More Found