• September 17Club Fair This Week in IF September 19th, 2018!

• September 17Cheer Won 1st Place In Meet Over Weekend

• September 17Congratulations August Scholar Athletes : Garrett Nash, Josh Blanks, Drew Oldham, Bailey McCachern, Megan Fitzgerald, Keeley Whitmer

Be The Change!

Cody Brown, Staff Writer

Be The Change: The Aftermath

Nearing the end of the year, our sophomore students here at FCHS have finally finished their “Be the Change” projects. For the past three months they have worked hard on their research, service projects, and culminating amazing products. I’m proud to say that this year’s batch is incredible.

For our freshman, or anyone else who doesn’t know, the “Be the Change” project is a presentation designed to improve students’ writing, speaking, and problem-solving skills. Each individual student picks a local, or global problem in today’s society and works out a reasonable solution in their presentation. Students are also required to go out into the community and help their cause by doing service projects, (or creating another instagram page).

Every year there are tons of different projects to choose from. The most common projects like suicide prevention, animal abuse, and bullying revealed new approaches to these omnipresent issues. Some of the more “popular” projects this year concerned human trafficking, mental health and other less known awareness groups. I had a few personal favorites such as “Elephant Ivory” by Brooke Beaschler, and “Service Dogs” by Robert Campfield, but they were all great projects.

Cole Brown is a sophomore at Forsyth Central who decided to do his project on stress relief and anxiety. Cole said that he decided to do his project on this topic because it’s a very relatable problem that students face. In his presentation he talks about some of the more common stressors that frustrate students, and then shares methods to cope with the passing anxiety.

Once more congratulations to sophomore on your projects. All of your projects did so well, that we even got the attention of the Forsyth County News (Link below). Thank you so much for your impact on our community and the time you spent doing so. I don’t know about anyone else, but now I’m excited for the years to come at Central.

https://www.forsythnews.com/local/education/forsyth-central-10th-graders-tackle-tough-issues-service-projects/