• March 6Donate to Michael Gutierrez: Https://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mgg2001

The Voices of Millennials and Generation Z

Luke Lindsey, Staff Writer

In the 1960s, generation Jones and gen X were looked down upon by those from proceeding generations, claiming that they were self consumed and too immature to take on the world. Other generations would express concern for the world in the hands of the baby boomers. Today we see a very similar type of discomfort from some people in older generations towards millennials and generation Z.

What do you have to say about how our generation is viewed by others?

“I personally feel that there is a worry for the millennial generation with good reason, with the postmodernist ideals that generally define them being very problematic, while naming everything else as such. However, the fear of millennials ruining society has bled down to gen Z, and we’re being blamed for the shortcomings of those before us. When it comes down to it though, I feel that our generation, Gen Z, can truly save the world.

The proof is in the pudding man. We really do hold up some enlightened people as our idols, because who else could support Russel Brand and Jordan Peterson? We’re taking back philosophy from the crazy hippies and religious nuts. It’s the time for people to truly communicate, and shutting down conversation is wrong. Censorship is the death of truth, and we aren’t going to have it.” – Matthew Barrett Clark

“Millennials are definitely looked down upon by older generations. We’re often labeled as unwise, lazy, selfish, and irresponsible. Many older folks are against living an “abnormal” life (for example: getting tattoos, not going to college, having an artistic job). I definitely think there could be improvements on the way millennials are viewed!” -Emma Roberts

“I think the reason why there’s so much judgement towards our generation is because we’re living in a time period in which we have more access to social media and larger platforms to speak up about certain issues that concern us. We have the ability to protest and fight for what we believe in through many different platforms. It lets us be loud and it lets us be heard. Past generations didn’t have access to a lot of the things we have access to, which is why sometimes our generation can come off as reckless or problematic when in reality we just have access to more things and we’ve been exposed to more things.” -Elizabeth Lora

“I think the whole talk about millennials is blown way out of proportion. It’s true that we may seem self consumed, and some are since we have more resources available than generations before (phones/apps, reality tv, higher standard to live up to) but that shouldn’t be what people focus on the most. I believe that there is a great force that we millennials have yet to harness and control, but when we do, we’ll be unstoppable.” -Emma Harding

“We are here. We deserve to be heard. We are the future of this country. Our opinions are valid, and we will make progress that previous generations haven’t.” – Garrett Van Wambeke

“Millennials have introduced a new era. We don’t want to take menial jobs like Gen X and Baby Boomers did. We want to find purpose and meaning in our work and in our education, without necessarily climbing the corporate ladders our parents and grandparents had to climb.” – Tellia Catherine, introduction from her essay: Some Thoughts on Millennials, April 10, 2018

Most see ourselves as the driving force of a new era. It’s true that more is available to us, that our potential is  near exponential, and that we are still getting a grip on what we have access to, but the generalizations that have recently been thrown at us can threaten our growth if we let them.

The past few generations, mainly Millennials and Generation Z, are shifting our society’s view of success to value happiness, fulfillment, love, and community more than making six digit incomes, and our continuation of this could inevitably impact generations to come.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “The Voices of Millennials and Generation Z”

1. Ginger Rodriguez on May 3rd, 2018 8:11 pm

Great article, Luke! Each generation seems to see the next as a blessing and a curse. Students (& writers) like you give old people like me Hope.

[Reply]

aalbergaparisi Reply:

Thank you for your response!

[Reply]

• The Voices of Millennials and Generation Z

Why Creative Writing Matters

News

The Young Leaders of the Gun Control Revolution

The Mighty Burger King: Is It Really That Far From the Throne?

Zaxby’s v. Chick-fil-A: Who Will Wear the Chicken Crown?

Vero: An App Similar to Instagram That Turns Out to be Terrible

Welcome to the World of Tomorrow

Black Panther Review: KIllmonger’s Uprising Steals the Show

Opinion

Tam’s Backstage

News

Will Atlanta Be Amazon’s New Home?

One More Try for “One Day at a Time”