• March 6Donate to Michael Gutierrez: Https://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mgg2001

Put Your Pencils Down

Mckenzie See-Holbrook, Staff Writer

As testing season approaches students all over the country are spending their time studying for hours on end to make sure they pass their final exams, AP exams, and every last minute test they must take before the school year is over. With the amount of pressure being increased on students to pass their exams and making sure they are studying for at least a couple hours a night, we wonder how students deal with all of the stress.

I asked Logan Wallace, a Sophomore at Forsyth Central, how she deals with stress through the testing season and she stated “I make sure that I put myself first and take care of myself. I remind myself to eat and not push myself too hard. Even if it is just studying for 30 minutes a night I still get the information I need to pass my exams. If my mind needs a break, I take time for myself. I listen to music and breathe and then once my mind is at ease about testing I start again.”

Students tend to study for hours on end to flood  their brains with information because they believe that it will help them remember, but research shows that studying for a lesser amount of time a night and sleeping longer improves test scores in high school students. By studying for hours at a time your brain starts confusing the information and then all of your studying has been for nothing.

UCLA professor of psychiatry Andrew J. Fuligni did a study and it showed that students who studied longer and did not receive a long amount of sleep had more problems academically than students who studied for shorter periods of time and were well rested. “Sleep deprivation impedes sleep. Students generally learn best when they keep a consistent study schedule,” Fuligni stated. This means that when you cram studying all into one night it completely ruins that information you have gone over.

Brianna Noto, a Junior at Forsyth Central, is taking 2 AP courses this school year. I asked her what part of testing made her the most nervous and she stated “I am more nervous before I get tested. I worry about what is going to be on the test, if I’ve studied long and hard enough and how much time I will need to finish. After testing is over I’m not as concerned as I was before. I don’t sit and wait to receive my grade. Getting my test done and over with takes my nerves away.”

As a high school student who is taking an AP course this year and who has taken Honors Literature in the past, I have learned that when it comes to testing, I do better when I am not focused on other people and their grades. I get the grade for myself and nobody else. I take time to study every night, but not for long periods of time.

Testing is stressful for all students involved but they all deal with it differently. Some students relax by hanging out with friends, listening to music, or even just eating. No matter how students deal with testing stress and anxiety, getting through it is difficult for everyone no matter who you are.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/cramming-for-a-test-don-t-do-it-237733