• March 6Donate to Michael Gutierrez: Https://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mgg2001

Flow God Follow Up

Luke Lindsey, Staff Writer

March 8th, 2018, Michael Gutierrez fulfilled his spoken destiny, taking a razor to the curls he had grown and maintained for millennia. Falling like dying leaves on an autumn tree, pooling around the roots of his ankles to be raked by the broom of the barber. The tenseness was there, yes, but there was a peace about the situation. You can see it in Michael’s expressions. His hair wasn’t going to be gone, to be merely blown by the winds of change, it’s moving on to be treated and cared for by a new owner who will continue to love and care for it as Michael had. His hair was successfully donated to the St. Baldrick’s foundation that day, to be made into wigs for those who are being treated with chemotherapy.

“It’s going to be a weird time getting used to it,” Michael said, “When I shower, it still feels like it’s there.” This is a sensation that lasts longer for some more than others. Ghosted curls encasing the head of the flow veteran; an illusion of the mind that takes time to dissipate, and judging by the length and sheer flawlessness of Michael’s hair, it’s definitely going to take some time to get used to such a difference. This change, though severe, is a positive one, and Michael continues to express the positivity within himself that lead him to make this decision in the first place.

He didn’t make the chop for himself; it was for a cause beyond him-something larger than himself. The cause he has contributed to makes his decision well worth itself. “It’s not exactly like cutting it all off; it’s going somewhere,” Michael says during our interview for the last Flow article The Flow Gods of Forsyth.