• October 12October 27th Is The Homecoming Dance Come Out and Have A Great Time

• October 12Come Support Central At Our Pink Out Homecoming Game October 12th!

The Stoneman Douglas Shooting: The Aftermath

Emily Corwin, Editor

Tragedy struck the country on Valentine’s Day after a former student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School killed 17 teachers and students.  At approximately 2 in the afternoon, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz took an Uber to the Florida high school with an AR-15 assault rifle, a gun that has been used in many other deadly shootings like the Pulse Nightclub shooting in Orlando, Florida and the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.  Cruz entered the freshman building and turned on a fire alarm, then began shooting at teachers and students as they left their classrooms.  The shooting lasted for six minutes, and Cruz was able to flee the scene by blending in with the panicking students.

These are the 17 victims that were killed by Cruz, according to CNN:

• Alyssa Alhadeff, 14
  • Scott Beigel, 35
  • Martin Duque Anguiano, 14
  • Nicholas Dworet, 17
  • Aaron Feis, 37
  • Jaime Guttenberg, 14
  • Chris Hixon, 49
  • Luke Hoyer, 15
  • Cara Loughran, 14
  • Gina Montalto, 14
  • Joaquin Oliver, 17
  • Alaina Petty, 14
  • Meadow Pollack, 18
  • Helena Ramsay, 17
  • Alex Schachter, 14
  • Carmen Schentrup, 16
  • Peter Wang, 15

The survivors of this deadly shooting have spoken out about gun control and have inspired several schools across the country to organize walkouts in remembrance of the victims.  Stoneman Douglas students stormed the state Capitol in Tallahassee, demanding a ban on guns, chanting “Vote Them Out!”  Survivor Samuel Zeif attended the listening session at the White House, and recalled how his 14-year-old brother had been in the same room that Scott Beigel was shot in.  “I’m here to use my voice because I know he can’t.  And I know he’s with me, cheering me on to be strong, but it’s hard.”

Two days after the fatal shooting, an anti-gun rally was held in Fort Lauderdale, where survivor Emma Gonzalez, 18, made an 11-minute speech where she swears that she, along with her classmates and their parents, will fight to make the Stoneman Douglas shooting the last mass shooting in America.  She argues, “We are going to be the kids you read about in textbooks.  Not because we’re going to be another statistic about mass shootings in America, but because we are going to be the last mass shooting.”  Gonzalez’s speech spread throughout the news and social media like wildfire, and she has quickly transformed into one of the country’s most prominent anti-gun violence activists.

Since the shooting, Florida lawmakers have voted against the ban of assault rifles with a 71-36 vote, which has caused an outrage among the school shooting survivors.  Sheryl Acquaroli, a junior at Stoneman Douglas, says, “It was just so heartbreaking to see how many names were up there, especially after it was my school.”  President Donald Trump has ordered his attorney general to propose regulations that would ban bump stocks, which are attachments that can allow semi-automatic rifles to fire rounds at the same rate as a fully automatic rifle would.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Stoneman Douglas Shooting: The Aftermath”

1. Thor on March 2nd, 2018 12:42 pm

Banning them in schools, and keeping them banned in schools as well as everywhere else will make me even more fearful of coming to school here than I already am because of the current ban. Patrick Neville, a columbine survivor, shares my sentiment.

I find it rather despicable that these people are being used by others to promote their agenda regardless of these statistics that the students speak out against. 19% of all firearm deaths come from rifles (not necessarily assault rifles which is much less). Fists, knives, and hammers have each killed more than the amount killed with rifles while more people die in car accidents every year than are killed with all guns. All of this is strictly in the U.S.. 98% of all mass shootings in america occur in gun free zones. Guns prevent more than 2 million people each year from becoming victims of a crime, and in an overwhelming majority of these cases, the would-be victims merely brandish the firearm. A majority of convicted criminals agree that if they knew the person they were victimizing had a firearm, they would not make victims out of them in the first place. This is even counting the fact that if we ban guns in the U.S.A, the only people with firearms walking amongst civilians will be criminals. This is because criminals do not follow the law, and it is absurd to think that they will.

Now this isn’t including the failure on all levels of government to stop the kid from doing this beforehand. police were sent to this kid’s house twenty two times, he was clearly violently mentally ill, and the FBI was alerted to him months prior to the shooting when he commented online using his real name that he was going to be a school shooter. Every single person that knew about him knew he wasn’t right in the head, and if any of this were documented at all by the police (who were under reporting crime and refusing to investigate more than a certain number of them per month) or the FBI, he wouldn’t have been able to get the firearm that he did in any background check whatsoever. Not to mention the fact that one of the reasons the body count was as high as it was is due to the fact that the four police arriving on the scene refused to go into the building while the shooting was happening, and instead hid from any threat safely outside the building. They weren’t even doing their job.

Now as for bump stocks, yours is a common misconception that bump stocks allow a semi auto rifle to fire as fast as fully automatic one, or (even worse) that it turns a semi-auto into a fully-auto machine gun. The fact is that a bump stock uses the recoil of the gun to push the firearm back and spring it forward making it easier to fire it much more quickly. The key words here are “making it easier”. It is very possible to bump fire any semi-auto without a bump stock, much less any stock. This mean pistols can be bump fired to near their cyclic rate as well without any modifications or accessories to the gun whatsoever.

• The Stoneman Douglas Shooting: The Aftermath

The Cumming Fair – What’s New For 2018?

News

Hurricane Michael’s Path of Destruction

News

Are the Kavanaugh Hearings Affecting Georgia’s Governor Race?

Nike Controversy with Colin Kaepernick – What Does This Mean For Nike?

News

9/11: A Time to Honor and Remember

News

The Golden State Killer Mystery

News

The Young Leaders of the Gun Control Revolution

News

Will Atlanta Be Amazon’s New Home?

News

Georgia Senate Passes Keep Faith in Adoption and Foster Care

• News

Bitcoin: What is it and will it last?