Central Scene

• December 12Early Release next Tues., Wed., Thurs. @ 12:55

• December 12Region 5 Wrestling Duals, 1/12 at 10 am in the Dome Gym

• December 12Choral Winter Concert 12/13 , 7pm in the PAC

Halloween Movie Treats

Back to Article
Back to Article

Halloween Movie Treats

Briana Noto, Staff Writer

Halloween is right around the corner, and the only thing better than candy and costumes are the movies. Of course, horror movies are big at this time of year, but nobody talks about the family movies that get us in the spirit. I rated my top 5 Halloween movies for you to enjoy this season. Get your popcorn ready, because a list of spooky favorites are coming your way. 

1.   Hocus Pocus:    Ages 5 and up

Max Dennison moves to Salem and explores an abandoned house with his sister. They accidentally set free a coven of evil witches. Now the the siblings, a neighbor and a magical cat have to have to steal the book of spells to keep the malicious matrons from becoming immortal.

Hocus Pocus is a comical Halloween film, that isn’t scary at all. The witches are supposed to be intimidating, but are actually hilarious throughout the film. This is a perfect movie for families to watch together.

1.   The Nightmare Before Christmas

Ages: 7 and up

Jack Skellington is Halloweentown’s pumpkin king. He’s become bored of scaring people in the “real world.” He accidentally finds Christmastown and plans to take it over by kidnapping Santa Claus and taking over his role.

The Nightmare Before Christmas is a very unique movie. It’s a musical, that could be a little scary for kids 3-5. The music is brilliant, and it can be watched at Christmastime as well. Tim Burton created some creepy monsters that I’ve never heard of or seen before this movie, which is refreshing because usually you only see vampires, witches, werewolves, and ghosts in Halloween movies. If you’re in the mood for creepy creatures, this is the film for you. 

1. The Haunted Mansion

Ages: 7 and up

Real estate agent, Jim Evers, played by Eddie Murphy, is told by his wife that he works too much, so he decides to take his family on a vacation. On the way, he stops at a creepy mansion which he had been asked to sell, only to find out that it’s haunted by Master Gracey and his butler. In a disturbing twist of events, Evers’ wife is kidnapped and now the family must save their mother and escape the house and all of the ghosts in it.

The Haunted Mansion is a warm, festive movie that shows the importance of family sticking together, no matter what. It’s one of my favorites because of the aesthetic of the set. The mansion is hauntingly beautiful and the ghostly characters look like they’re apart of the mansion, rather than just living in it. This movie isn’t too scary and it has some funny elements to it, as well, which is perfect for a family movie night.

1.   Coraline

Ages: 9 and up

Coraline Jones moves to a new house with her family and is less than thrilled about it. While exploring the house, she finds a secret door that leads to a world that mirrors her own, but is better. She’s excited about this discovery until she learns that she might be trapped there forever.

While Coraline might scare some younger  kids, this movie is unique. It’s fun to watch, and it teaches children a valuable lesson: be careful what you wish for. This movie is beautiful, as well. This clay stop motion film is skillfully done, with an aesthetically pleasing view into an alternate universe. 

Halloween Town

Ages 5 and up

On Marnie Cromwell’s 13th Halloween, she discovers that she’s a witch. She finds a secret portal and is transported to Halloweentown with her grandmother, brother and sister. She is then forced into a battle against an evil force to save her family and Halloweentown altogether.

Halloweentown is a spooky, fun movie that always gets me in the Halloween spirit. The movie includes every kind of Halloween monster imaginable and the storyline is enjoyable to watch any time of year. As great as this movie is, I ranked it as number one because of the many Halloweens my family and I have spent with it. It’s a family movie at its heart and that’s why I love it so much.