Student Spotlight: Kathryn Terrell

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Spotlight: Kathryn Terrell

Brianna Noto, Staff Writer

Kathryn Terrell

Nickname: Kat

Age: 17

Year: Senior

Positivity, faith, and wisdom, that’s what comes to mind when I think of Kathryn Terrell. She’s strong in her faith, positive and overall a very strong person.  I got the privilege of interviewing her exclusively for the Central Scene.

Two years ago, Kat lost her mother, and though she grieved, she views this event as one that strengthened her relationship with God. She does admit that she was frustrated for a long time before she got closer to God. She actually spent some time being angry with Him. “I just started yelling at Him one day. I got into my mom’s closet and had a breakdown.” She says that this event in her life showed her that she had to step into her faith, and it helped her figure out who she was. “It’s cool how God takes you to the bottom and brings you back up.”

Kat has been on two trips to Costa Rica as a missionary. She says that she wanted to go on a mission trip when she saw a video about the impact that a mission trip had on someone else. The video showed a girl, an atheist, who went on the trip. One of the children in Costa Rica, who only ate one meal a day, offered her meal to this girl. That stuck with Kat and wanted to feel that special feeling as well.

The first trip was in her Sophomore year, the same year that she lost her mother and her second trip was this past summer, in her junior year. She said that the first year and second year were very different.

While she was on her first trip, she was still grieving the loss of her mother. “I didn’t realize how dark of a place I was in until I went the next year.” It was like she “saw it with new eyes.” This trip also made her realize how much she was loved “I shared my testimony for the first time on the last night… and right after it they all circled around me and prayed over me”

Kat’s faith is obviously a big part in her life, but she didn’t get there on her own. Her mother helped shape her faith by teaching Kat and her sister to have daily quiet times with God. Another person that really helped Kat in her journey of faith was Madison Smith, who graduated last year. Kat said she could be a bit impulsive, especially when something drastic happens and Madison kept her grounded in those moments.  “I feel like she is God’s wisdom and she spoke that to me when I needed it.”

We can all learn a lot from Kathryn, whether you’re a Christian or not. She can teach us that even when a situation is dire, it gets better over time as long as you don’t give up.