• November 13Please donate new or gently used winter clothing by 11/15. Donation boxes are all around campus, or in room 1534.

Tragedy in Charlottesville

A makeshift memorial of flowers and a photo of the victim of the car attack is on display at the attack site  in Charlottesville, Va., Sunday, Aug. 13, 2017.  (AP Photo/Steve Helber)

A makeshift memorial of flowers and a photo of the victim of the car attack is on display at the attack site in Charlottesville, Va., Sunday, Aug. 13, 2017. (AP Photo/Steve Helber)

Steve Helber

Steve Helber

Tori Hollenbeck, Staff Writer

Perhaps you’ve heard of the tragedy that occurred in Charlottesville, Virginia. In case you haven’t, here’s what you missed: On Saturday, August 12, groups of neo- Nazis, Ku Klux Klan members, and other white supremacist groups gathered for a “Unite the Right” rally, which was supposed to protest against the removal of a statue of Confederate general Robert E. Lee.

The white supremacist rally-goers were met by a crowd of counter-protesters, and fights began to break out between the two crowds.

At 1:45 pm, 20-year-old James Alex Fields Jr. drove a car into a group of counter-protesters and another car. As a result, 32-year-old Heather D. Heyer was killed and 19 people were injured.

This was a terrible display of the hatred and separation between the people of our nation. Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe said in an interview with NPR, “I, never in my life, have seen such vicious, mean-spirited hatred.” It is shocking to me that a country that was founded on equality and acceptance could still have so much hostility and prejudice within it.

One nation under God is divisible over the color of people’s skin. I am ashamed that the color of a person’s skin is enough to divide the United States.

That is why we, as the future of America, have to stand together to stand up against racism and prejudice. Instead of displaying hate and racial separation, we need to show acceptance, love, and unity, not as a race, but as a country.

We have the power to prevent events like the tragedy in Charlottesville from happening in the future. We can be the generation to stand up and end racism and prejudice.