Central Scene

• December 12Early Release next Tues., Wed., Thurs. @ 12:55

• December 12Region 5 Wrestling Duals, 1/12 at 10 am in the Dome Gym

• December 12Choral Winter Concert 12/13 , 7pm in the PAC

Rise Up!

Josh Hafif, Staff Writer

The Falcons are now conference champions, ready to battle the Patriots in the Super Bowl 51. This is only the second time in the team’s history, with the first Super Bowl appearance occurring in 1999, where they lost to the Denver Broncos 34 to 19.

Starting the season with

Curtis Compton / [email protected]
January 22, 2017, Atlanta: Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan reacts to scoring a touchdown on a quarterback keeper against the Packers to take a 17-0 lead during the second quarter in the NFL football NFC Championship game on Sunday, Jan. 22, 2017, in Atlanta. Curtis Compton/[email protected]

a loss to the Buccaneers, the Falcons went on to have an 11-5 regular-season record, making them one of the top seeds in the playoffs. They swept through both playoff games, averaging 40 points per game, with a 36-20 win over the Seahawks, and a 44-21 win over the Packers.

Headed by QB Matt Ryan, the Falcons have the best offense in the league and the highest regular season points per game at 33.8. The Patriots also have one of the top offenses, with the third best average for points per game at 27.6. The Patriots have a clear edge when it comes to defense. In yards allowed the Patriots are ranked 8th out of the league’s 32 teams, while Falcons come in at 25th.

In their 51 year history the Falcons have only been to the Super Bowl one time. With the 1999 game now a distant 18 years ago, the team is composed of a completely different set of players, only one of which has played in a Super Bowl. New head coach Dan Quinn has had some recent experience, coaching as defensive coordinator for the Seahawks in Super Bowls 48 and 49.

At a press conference Monday Quinn stated, “I’ve gone when things have gone well, I’ve been a part of it when it hasn’t. I want to outline some of the keys to playing well in the game and managing some of the things on the outside. That’s a part of t
he process where I can help, and I’ll share that with the guys.”

After winning the NFC championship Ryan ended his postgame interview saying“We’ll be ready to go… that’s for sure.” The Falcons  and their fans in Georgia and throughout the country are ready to see which team will dominate and walk away with a Super Bowl win on February 5th. Can the Patriots experience defeat the powerful offense and high hopes of og the Falcons?