• September 18Forsyth Central vs. Duluth: 41-42

The Olympics of Science

Josh Hafif, Staff Writer

Forsyth Central High School has many clubs, which cover various topics and challeng
e the minds of many students. These clubs range from VEX Robotics to Ultimate Frisbee, and with so many options students have an easy time choosing which ones they would enjoy. Science Olympiad is among the myriad of clubs, and over the past few years it has grown in popularity. It is a competition based club, where students can choose to participate in a variety of subject-based events.

The events available to students include Optics, Invasive Species, Disease Detectives, Robot Arm, Towers, Hydrogeology, Ecology, and so much more. The competitions are composed of tests, both written and physical, as well as builds- in competitions like Robot Arm and Tower. Students participate in the event with a partner from their school, and compete against teams from schools all over the northern part of Georgia. Many of the events allow students to use notes that have created or found online as an aid, and the competitions occur on Saturdays throughout the year.

The first competition of the 2016-2017 season was on Saturday, October 22nd, at Rockdale County High School. It was composed of students who have had previous experience with
Scie
nce Olympiad. This meant the competscience-1ition was tough, but many students from FCHS still managed to do very well. Some notable ranks from the FCHS teams include fifth in Rocks and Minerals

As a competitor in the first competition I participated in Invasive Species and Optics. The first event I went to was Invasive Species, where I answered questions with my partner as they came up on the whiteboard. We had a binder with information that would help us, but it was still a challenge to keep up with the quick pace of the questions. We finished 9th overall and I then went to my next event. The optic
s test was located in the library of the school, and was comprised of two parts. The first half was a multiple choice test and the second was a challenge using a box with a laser, barriers, and mirrors. My partner and I only missed two on the test, but did poorly on the second portion with the box. After only missing twoscience-4 we managed to come in 16th, which shows how competitive these competitions can be. Overall I can definitely say that it was a fun experience and that I learned a lot more than I ever would have thought.