The Senioritis Epidemic

Elijah Jones, Staff Writer

As we enter the last half of the 2016-2017 school year, some seniors might feel inclined to put the pencil down and relax. They may have been accepted to their college of choice, or have decided to take a year off, so they think that the next five months are irrelevant and they can just kick back and coast through the rest of the school year without doing anything with few consequences, blissfully unaware of the potential repercussions of their new lifestyle. “I have had senioritis since the 5th grade, I just haven’t cared” Megan Maryanski.

Most students, after initially sending in their transcripts believe that  their grades from that point forward do not matter and drop from A and B averages to C and D averages. Unfortunately, they will pay the price for it. Colleges may rescind their acceptances if there is a major difference in academic performance the first and second half of  senior year.

In addition to  acceptances, scholarships can be taken away as well if students stop meeting an institutions expectations, making college less affordable even if their acceptance isn’t affected. All the sleep they caught up with in math class may come back to haunt them when their plans for the future are completely derailed. Effects of senioritis can even stretch beyond academics. Studies show that students performance in extracurricular activities and even in their part-time jobs declines significantly in tangent with a decline in academic performance.  

This laziness that a large portion of students  gain during the second half of senior year can be detrimental to their future plans, their college acceptances, and their performances in clubs, sports, and at work. The best way to cure this disease (besides not contracting it at all), is to stay focused and finish the year as strongly as you started it, and to keep doing all of your work to the best of your ability.