Why AP?

Jiries Hishmeh, Staff Writer

Recently, there has been an exciting drive to inform students about taking AP classes. It started with the AP fair, a gathering of any student that might be interested in taking an AP class for next year. It might sound like a lot but AP classes are definitely worth it, and it’s really easy to explore one’s options. Do not fear the “AP”  part of any class- that just means that you are going to work even harder for your goal.

Like any class, AP is what you put into it; if you are a student who doesn’t do anything and doesn’t turn in work, then you might not want to join the AP route. And on the contrary you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to join an AP class; you just have to be dedicated to your studies. I promise you it’s not as big as it seems to take an AP class. Some people say AP classes are like pringles once you have one you can’t stop until you have them all.

There are many reason that students take these illustrious AP classes ,“I don’t want to pay too much for college classes and to take a class that I could possibly get credit for” said Mckenna Butler (AP Art History).  Some students are in it for just the challenge, “I wanted to be challenged and the regular classes were not gonna cut it”  Allison Haymen,(Ap Lit).

The first time I was introduced to AP classes was when I was in 10th grade. I took on-level because I honestly thought that’s all that there was. Not a lot of people talked about the AP classes. Until one day when an amazing AP teacher had to watch my on level literature class. She decided to tell these rising juniors about the AP class she teaches and why they should sign up.

At first I thought, “No, I couldn’t be one of those students who is taking an AP class. I’m not smart enough,” but with some reassurance from my literature teacher I made the best decision to enroll for AP Lang. That class was the only class that provided information that you could use in life; it taught me more than just the curriculum. It taught me life lessons without even addressing them.

I hope that you are thinking about AP in a new light. You would challenge yourself and save money in the long run, so why not? If you have any questions feel free to ask your teacher or counselor.