Poetry Out Loud

Matthew Hanley, Chief Editor

Students shared their artistic voices with a crowd of their peers on January 25th as Forsyth Central hosted its Poetry Out Loud competition. Hosted by AP Literature teacher Ms. Pope, the competition held twenty student contestants eager to demonstrate their ability to recite poetry in front a live audience.

“It’s a chance to experience poetry the way it is truly meant to be,” explains Ms. Pope when asked about the nature of the competition. “In class, we just sit and read. Kids don’t get to experience poetry’s true form.”

Poetry Out Loud is a competition held by many schools in which student participants are encouraged to sign up and recite poems drafted by the likes of many famous authors and orators. Students are given a list of approved poems to select their works from and must memorize them and practice their delivery. Their ability to recite the poems and the quality of their oration determine whether or not they will be eliminated from the competition.

“I think it’s a lot of work. But, based on the rehearsal round held yesterday and the fact that we have acquired the performing arts center, I think it will be worth it,” elaborated Ms. Pope on her first year of organizing Poetry Out Loud. The competition was originally run by Forsyth Central’s own Ms. Tise before her departure.

When asked about the students’ level of dedication to the event, Ms. Pope responded, “The students are very into the competition. Nearly all of them showed up for the rehearsal round.” After a quick investigation into the classes that make up the student body participating, she affirmed that, “It’s an even mix of each class — their is a noticeable disparity between the lower classes and senior participants, though.”

Without much surprise, Forsyth Central’s Poetry Out Loud competition has received local sponsorships to aid with providing the student victors a prize. Both Cue Barbecue and Wildflower Eatery have sponsored the event and provided gift certificates to their respective restaurants for the first and second place winners. The National English Honors Society has also been of aid to the event under the helping hand of Forsyth Central’s Mr. Hanline.