2016 TOP 5 Albums

Jiries Hishmeh, Staff Writer

With 2016 ending soon I have decided to pick my top 5 albums of the year

Banks- The Altar 

After a two year dry spell, fans greatly anticipated their favorite alternative star, Banks’ sophomore album, The Altar. Banks paints a picture about the hardships she experienced in her life and how influential her past is to her future. The first song of the album is “Gemini Feed” in which Banks tells the story about her controlling companion and what could have been if he would let her free. “If you would have let me grow you could have kept my love.” These lyrics accompanied by her catchy beats makes a hit single. This album’s unique feel is like nothing I’ve ever heard before.

Gemini Feed. ©  2016 Harvest Records

Ariana Grande – Dangerous Woman

This was the third studio album released by the Nickelodeon star, and  I have to say this is one of my favorite albums. It is impossible to get tired of listening to the album because it hits a lot of different genres in different songs. The album includes collaborations from Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Future and more. One of the best songs on the Album is “Touch It” which is an exceptional song that shows off this powerhouse vocalist’s skills. This album will make you want to grab your bunny ears, and sing along even if you don’t even know the words.

Greedy. © 2016 Republic Records, a division of UMG Recordings, Inc.

Charli XCX- Vroom Vroom

This is an EP!! Yes I know the Title says top 5 albums of 2016, but this EP is one of my favorites so I just had to count it as an album. It’s my list, and I make the rules. Charli really impressed a lot of fans upon releasing this EP. This is an introduction into her new era and the debut of her new record company. The sound is a mix between Electronic and Bubblegum Pop, but it has such an iconic sound to it. The EP consists of four songs: “Vroom Vroom,” “Paradise (ft. Hannah Diamond),” “Trophy,” and “Secret (Shh).” “Trophy” is one of the most clever songs out of the EP; if you are familiar with the movie Pulp Fiction, there is a scene where the main characters dance. She takes a quote from that scene and puts it in the chorus of the song. Pair that with an infectious beat and you have a catchy song. This EP makes you feel like you are zooming through a highway in a fancy foreign car.

Secret (Shhh). © 2016 Vroom Vroom Recordings

Beyonce – Lemonade

When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade and that is exactly what Beyonce did. This album is the definition of iconic. Rumor has it that this album was about her husband Jay-Z’s infidelity, but there has not been any confirmation on that. Everyone has his or her own theory to this. The album goes far beyond just being a album about your significant other cheating. It’s about empowerment, it’s a tribute to women, it’s a tribute to African Americans. One of the songs,  “Freedom” is such a powerful song that lets Beyonce showcase her powerful voice. This soulful song has such an important message because it’s about breaking one’s oppression. This song is the apex of any freedom movement. The song features Kendrick Lamar who sings impactful verses about police brutality, and how it has taken many innocent  lives. This album is another one of Beyonce’s brilliant works, but it will go down in history for being the most influential.

Hold Up. © 2016 Parkwood Entertainment

The Pretty Reckless  – Who Are You Selling For

In this album, The Pretty Reckless, pushed themselves in a new direction. The majority of the previous two albums were hard rock and metal, but this new album is a classic take on rock. It’s such a refreshing change to the band and this has become my favorite album by them. The album has a  variety of songs. I became instantly hooked on the track “Wild City,” which almost sounds like a song out of one of those “Buddy Cop” movies, but is contrasted by its lyrics “The City Ain’t No Place for a Lonely Girl” reflects on how dark this “city” can be, and how innocence doesn’t belong. Another good song is “Already Dead” which sounds like an old blues song mixed with rock. The messages behind the majority of the songs is about the loss of innocence and how blind one can be to the evil of the world. This album sets itself apart from the others because it seems to be more mature than the previous albums

Wild City © 2016 Water Music Recording Studios