The Death of Free Speech

Caution - Politically Correct Area Ahead

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Jacob Chance, Staff Writer

Freedom of speech is one of the most important rights that Americans have protected for decades. We use our speech to communicate ideas and opinions, and all opinions and ideas should be respected. Unfortunately, the First Amendment is being torn, burned, and desecrated by the hands of Social Justice Warriors. PC culture isn’t harmful as long as it isn’t enforced by anyone. As soon as the government (or anyone in a position of power) begins to cater to every possible group,  everyone will be disadvantaged and lose our basic First Amendment rights. PC culture has gone far enough.

“The First Amendment is dead. Long live the Reign of Sensitivity,” declares Ben Shapiro. Ben Shapiro is an American conservative commentator, author, radio-talk show host, and attorney. Ben Shapiro is – to say the least – brilliant. He skipped two grades (3rd and 9th) and graduated high school at the age of 16. He later went on to excel and graduate in Harvard Law School. A man so highly educated on the law has taken PC culture head on and uses logic and fact to deflect their preposterous demands.

With the help of Ben and many other intelligent, constitution-loving Americans, we will try our best to argue away this dangerous movement. The biggest argument that these PC activists have is “hate speech.” Hate speech is defined as speech that offends, threatens, or insults groups, based on race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or other traits. Hate speech laws are strictly enforced in many countries such as Canada and several in Europe. Currently people are advocating that hate speech laws be integrated into America, a cause that is a complete violation of our constitution.

Protesters at Mizzou, 2016

Protesters at Mizzou, 2016

The problem with these laws is that any speech that somehow offends or insults you can be “hate speech” and therefore punishable by law. You might think I’m joking but offensive language is on its way to being banned. “Hate speech” can be completely subjective and laws enforcing them are easily abusable. How far shall we allow this to go? PC activists are attacking comedians and commentators for simply expressing their First Amendment rights. One survey even concluded that an estimated 51 percent of democrats think that “Hate Speech Laws” should be integrated into the United States. If that survey is even a tad bit correct in representing the Left’s position then it’s a major issue. This isn’t the first time the Left wanted to defile our sacred constitution, and we should not stand for it this time.

Now if any PC  adherents are reading this article, this paragraph is for you. When somebody insults you for ANY reason (race, sex, disability, etc.) and you get offended, it’s not anyone else’s fault. You, and no-one else, are responsible for your feelings. When you get offended or “triggered” over what someone has said, it is scientifically impossible for things such as speech or sound waves to make you angry or upset. They are not injecting you with chemicals that make you upset, your interpretation of what they said is what made you upset. No one can upset you except you. No one can make you angry except you. Please, don’t harm the free world for the sake of feelings.