I Predict a Riot

Emily Corwin, Editor in Chief

Mass hysteria erupted across the country after it was announced that Donald Trump had won the presidential election.  The streets were filled with angry protesters in cities like Chicago, Boston, Los Angeleunnameds, and Portland, all of which strongly lean towards the Democratic side.  What had started out as a peaceful protest quickly took a violent turn; Portland protesters started vandalizing property, smashing cars and windows, and lashing out at officers, who referred to these protests as “riots.” On November 11th at approximately 4 in the morning, the Portland Police tweeted: “Police have deployed less lethal munitions such as
OC spray and vapor (pepper spray), rubber ball distraction devices, rubber baton rounds.”  According to CNN, 185 protesters in Los Angeles were arrested for suspicion of blocking roads; it has been made aware that blocking roads is illegal because it has the potential to harm road users.

unnamedThese protesters disapprove of several of Donald Trump’s beliefs and policies, including his controversial plans to stop illegal immigration by building a wall that separates the United States from Mexico, his support of using nuclear warfare as a means of retaliation, and his frequent racist and sexist remarks and actions.  Protesters also argued that Donald Trump should not have won the election because Hillary Clinton had won the popular vote.  Donald Trump expressed his feelings towards these protests on Twitter, where he said: “Just had a very open and successful presidential election.  Now professional protesters, incited by the media, are protesting.  Very unfair!”  

Trump’s win also led to several racist and xenophobic pro-Trump hate messages in response to anti-Trump protests.  A student at San Jose State University reported that while walking to her car in a parking garage, a hooded man ran up to her and snatched her hijab off her head.  Another hate crime comes from Dunnamedurham, North Carolina, where the racist message: “Black lives doesn’t matter and neither does your votes” was painted on a wall.  A high school’s bathroom in Minnesota contained racist graffiti that said things like “#gobacktoafrica”, “#whitesonly”, and “#whiteamerica.”

Protesters say they wish for a president that will love and accept everyone regardless of race, gender, sexuality, religion, or ethnicity.  Signs that say “Love trumps hate,” “Refugees welcome,” and “Love and accept us all” show that though the media is recognizing their pleas as violent riots, most protesters only want to live in a country where they don’t have to live in fear of being discriminated.  

1 Comment

One Response to “I Predict a Riot”

1. Lol Jenkins on March 22nd, 2017 1:43 pm

Such a moving piece about important political issues. Keep up your activism and keep writing about what you believe in. Unfortunately, I have encountered my fair share of racism. I myself am a white woman, but a good friend and former lover of mine was once attacked by one of our other friends because of the color of his skin. As the Specials once said, “If you have a racist friend, now is the time for your friendship to end.” #lovenothate

[Reply]

• I Predict a Riot

News

Chechnya Horror

• I Predict a Riot

News

Should You be Fired for Your Opinion?

• I Predict a Riot

News

Suntrust Park and Mercedes Benz Stadium Meet Atlanta

• I Predict a Riot

News

How to BEE a Soccer Player

• I Predict a Riot

News

Executing an Executioner

• I Predict a Riot

News

Global Warming May Disrupt Atlantic Ocean Current

• I Predict a Riot

News

The Legacy of Barack Obama

• I Predict a Riot

News

Hacking America: The China vs. Russia Question

• I Predict a Riot

News

Ford Stays in the USA and Sparks Hope

• I Predict a Riot

News

The Death of Fidel Castro

I Predict a Riot